Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Flash Catalyst Beta

So Jim showed us the Flash Catalyst beta last week, and I was stunned. Finally a way to do flash with out having to know the code! The video makes everything so simple, you start off designing like normal in photoshop or illustrator then just import it into flash catalyst do a couple of points and clicks, add your actions and wha laa your done.
Well I was wrong about that, I am hoping it is just because the program is still in beta that it is such a pain in the ass. First I had to flatten many layers of my psd file to get it below the max import file size of 15 mb. Once I got that done things seemed to move easily....well for a lil bit at least. I put together how I wanted my site to animate and appear and it played great in flash catalyst. Then as soon I wanted to add my scroll bars, the trouble began. I figured out how to make the scroll bar parts, but how to define that content that would scroll wasn't as easy. Not to mention that when you make something into a scroll bar you lose all the animations you previously created. Once I got that figured out somewhat, I still had a lil faith that this might work. Like I said the flash played great in flash catalyst, but when you previewed it live it didn't work. I guess I need a code so it will transition from the first state to the next. That is all I was able to get done for today. After thinking it through Ill probably cut the flash site, the point of doing a flash site was to make an easier web page, that would change colors easier, and I would only have to edit one file instead of three for each color. I was hoping flash catalyst would achieve that and I had so much hope for it. I guess Ill just have to learn flash because my site will be a flash site someday, fo sho.


No comments:

Post a Comment